This hearty and uniquely Spanish pork stew recipe – adapted from fabulous chef Afi‘s Spanish-language original – includes lots of veggies as well as the leafy superfood known as watercress. It is typically served with gofio porridge (gofio escaldado or escaldón in Spanish — recipe included below!), but the choice is up to you. One option is omitting the potatoes called for in the recipe and making a side of garlic mashed instead. If served without gofio, this dish is also gluten-free (although there are gluten-free varieties of gofio out there, too). Enjoy!
A Spanish Pork Stew Recipe
Preparation time: 1 h 15 min
What you’ll need:
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 300 g green beans
- 400 g watercress
- 1 tbs. paprika
- 1 tbs. turmeric powder
- pepper and salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cup of canned pinto beans* (or another kind)
- 300-400 g of pumpkin
- 2 corn cobs
- 500 g of pork loin
- 4 potatoes
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 3-4 tbs. olive oil
- Optional: 4.5 tbs. of gofio poweder for the gofio escaldado
* Note: You can also used 1/2 cup dry beans that have been soaked overnight, then well drained.
What to do:
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan. Finely chop the onion, dice the carrot and cut up the green beans. Add to the heated oil and stir. Finely chop the watercress and add as well.
2. Add the spices: paprika, turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste. Next add the beans (canned or pre-soaked and drained).
3. Add the pumpkin chopped into large cubes, as well as the corn cobs each broken in half (frozen are fine, too). Cut the pork loin into slices about 1 cm thick or, if you prefer, into large cubes.
4. Peel the potatoes and chop both them and the zucchinis into hunks. Add enough water to cover most of the ingredients (less if you prefer a thicker stew, more if you plan on using the broth to make gofio porridge — see recipe below). Bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour (or 20 min if using a pressure cooker).
Optional: Add gofio – A gofio porridge recipe
If you want to follow this recipe to the letter and make a uniquely Canarian dish, then add an extra cup of water to the stew. Once the stew is finished, take a cupful of broth and mix it well with 4.5 tbs. of gofio powder.
Cook the mixture over medium heat until it thickens. Serve warm with the stew. Enjoy!